Who We Are
On September 30, 1842, Robert Singleton sold the trustees the land on which Trinity Church stands for $100. The present church is the third building on the site, the first having been built in 1842 and the second in 1895.
The first Rector whose dates are recorded was The Rev. Richard Wilmer, later Bishop Wilmer. He took charge of Meade Parish in 1849. Since then Trinity Church has had twenty Rectors, their tenures ranging from one to twenty-one years.
In 1890, the Parish included Upperville, Delaplane, Middleburg and Aldie, and by 1909 two missions had also been started. In February, 1895, the first building was taken down because of extreme dampness, and a new building was erected on the old foundation.
In the Diocese of Virginia Annual Journal, 1938, it is written as a report from Meade Parish, Holy Trinity Church, Upperville: “This report is, of necessity, superficial. There are no records in the parish, the books having disappeared after the last rector resigned; nor are there copies of previous reports.”
In 1948, it became apparent again that the church building was in bad condition and that a new structure was needed. Work was begun in 1951, and the first service in the new church was held in 1960.
The present complex, on approximately 35 acres which includes the church, parish hall, and rectory (now used as the church office) and related buildings, was a gift to the Parish by two of its members, Mr. & Mrs. Paul Mellon.
In recent years Trinity Church has welcomed the growing number of commuters who live in the area and work in metropolitan Washington. We have also enjoyed the involvement of many weekend residents.